One of the most popular elements of the highly anticipated Hard Rock Hotel Palm Springs will be the memorabilia that adorns its walls, which will include a very eclectic, festival-inspired mix of artists.
The memorabilia is carefully chosen from the coveted “Rock Vault,” Hard Rock International’s famed warehouse in Orlando, Florida that stores more than 74,000 prized possessions gathered from rock and roll greats. The collection chosen for the Hard Rock Hotel Palm Springs will include autographed guitars, costumes from world tours, rare photographs, original contracts and more from almost every genre of music—from Frank Sinatra and Elvis to Lady Gaga and Justin Timberlake. More than 75 items will be displayed throughout the new hotel which is set to open its doors in late September or early October, depending on construction.
“We can’t wait to show off our amazing collection,” says Hector Moreno, Vice President and General Manager for the Hard Rock Hotel Palm Springs. “Our guests will get to see items from the biggest legends in musical history, as well as memorabilia from contemporary superstars like Maroon 5, Gwen Stefani, Rihanna, Shakira, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Neil Young, Johnny Cash, and so many other incredible performers.”
A few highlights from the extensive collection includes:
• Rolling Stones’ Keith Richards signed Danelectro guitar, considered a collector’s item in itself
• Original photos used in the artwork for the Who’s epic 1973 album, Quadrophenia
• A corduroy jacket owned and worn by the late, great Johnny Cash.
• A wool jacket worn by Frank Sinatra, as well as a supplement to his Capitol Records contract from April 1, 1953 that was signed by the Chairman himself, stipulating that he would always receive top billing on all record labels. Sinatra was also a part time Palm Springs resident.
• A leather biker jacket once owned by Elvis, along with a badge given to the King by the Palm Springs Police Department making him an honorary Captain.
• A unique Vera Thordardottir outfit worn by Lady Gaga during her performance at Sir Elton John’s “White Tie and Tiara Ball” in 2010
• A stylish William Rast tuxedo jacket worn by Justin Timberlake in a 2008 “Fashion Rocks” photo shoot.
• A fringed outfit worn by Barbados-born pop sensation Rihanna in the video for her 2010 smash single “Only Girl (In the World)”
• A meticulously hand-crafted First Act guitar made especially for, and with the input of, Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine who used it on stage.
• A Yamaha CB70 electric grand piano acquired by Chris Martin of Coldplay, who used it live as a composition tool and also in the video for “Shiver”
• A leather shirt from the personal wardrobe of Sly Stone, leader of Sly and the Family Stone
• A custom suit tailored for Sammy Davis, Jr. who once owned a home in Palm Springs
• A fringed jacket from the 1960’s belonging to Jimi Hendrix, certainly the most important and influential electric guitarist of all time, who also had an impcact on the world of fashion
• Bruce Springsteen’s lyrics to “Hearts of Stone” – never released – with his handwritten annotations
• Eric Clapton’s vintage National Studio 66 guitar
• A fringed vest worn by the first lady of country music, Loretta Lynn
The Hard Rock Hotel Palm Springs will also feature a unique lobby sculpture made of 500 recycled loud speakers and assorted electronic parts including amplifiers, radios, tuners and more. The interactive display was designed by popular Berlin-based artist Benoît Maubrey and will allow guests to “communicate” with music.
Upon completion this fall, the Hard Rock Hotel Palm Springs will offer 163 guest rooms, plus a lively pool scene, great dining, entertainment and special events. From the on-site VIBE manager, who keeps a pulse on the hotel’s atmosphere, to the groundbreaking, interactive amenity “The Sound Of Your Stay®,” where guests will be able to jam out with hands-on music experiences the Hard Rock Hotel Palm Springs will offer guests a sophisticated, yet fun resort experience. Additional music-related amenities will include a VIP Rock Star Suite, a Rock Spa®, a Body Rock® workout facility, and the world famous Rock Shop® featuring Hard Rock’s iconic, collectible merchandise.