KCOD, College of the Desert’s student radio station, won 17 Golden Microphones at the 78th annual Intercollegiate Broadcasting System’s national awards ceremony on Saturday night in New York City.
KCOD Coachella FM won three first place awards and 14 finalist awards for being among the top three in the nation (please see bullets below).
“These awards represent the hard work of our students and the high standard of broadcasting excellence we have set at COD,” KCOD Faculty Advisor Laurilie Jackson said. “KCOD students and our entire media program give students the skills they need to succeed and a voice across campus and throughout the local community.”
KCOD award winner Toni Bakal said “It is wonderful to be nationally recognized for our content at KCOD. We love working together creatively and collaboratively, and receiving awards for content made with that spirit means the world to us.”
- Best Program Promotion (Video/TV): Mind Your Business Teaser Video 02 – Toni Bakal
- Best Public Service Promotion: COPS Public Service Promotion – Abraham Cervantes and Toni Bakal
- Best Staff Newsletter: Toni Bakal
- Best Foreign Language Program: ¿y qué hay del amor – Artel Garcia
- Best Public Service Promotion: Waring International Piano Competition Public Service Promotion – Toni Bakal
- Best Press Release: 13 National Nominations Press Release – Toni Bakal
- Best Spot News: White Party Coverage – Joe de Hoyos
- Best News Interview: Special Interview with Mickey Thomas from Starship about Bowl of Heaven – Toni Bakal
- Best Public Affairs Event/Promotion: Jazz at the Pollock PSA – Nicholas Edwards
Best Public Affairs Event/Promotion: Waring Piano Competition PSA – Toni Bakal
- Best Station Promotion Video: KCOD Promo Video Spanish – Toni Bakal (Producer/Editor), Artel Garcia (Producer) and RTV 007 Class from Spring 2016
- Best Station Blog: KCOD One Sentence Blog -Toni Bakal
- Best Use of Instagram: KCOD Instagram @kcodcoachellafm – Toni Bakal
- Best Station Playlist/Music Selection: Joe de Hoyos, Nicholas Edwards, Toni Bakal, Frank Desaro, Giselle Woo
- Best Social Media Director: Toni Bakal
- Best Training Manual: Toni Bakal
- Best Staff Training Method: Toni Bakal
You can listen to KCOD at 1450 AM, via the TuneIn Radio app on your smart phone and online at www.kcodcoachellafm.com, where you can also find their schedule of diverse offerings, which includes alternative music, hip-hop, classic rock, ‘80s, metal, Coachella and Stagecoach artists’ music, and local Coachella Valley acts. The station also interviews local and big-name bands.
KCOD can also be found on Twitter and Instagram (@KCODcoachellafm).
Learn more about the awards at http://www.collegebroadcasters.us/content/index.html