By Marissa Willman
Cinco de Mayo is just around the corner and plenty of local businesses are celebrating the increasingly popular Mexican holiday. From family-friendly fiestas to tequila-slinging soirees, the desert has plenty of options to enjoy this weekend. Here are Coachella Valley Weekly’s picks for celebrating Cinco de Mayo.
• The Indio Chamber of Commerce and Mexican American Chamber of Commerce will host a Cinco de Mayo mixer on Friday from 6 to 8 p.m. Guests can enjoy live music, food and an art contest at the Indio Performing Arts Center. RSVP at (760) 342-7277.
$10 members, $15 non-members; 45-175 Fargo St.
• The City of Coachella and the Coachella Chamber of Commerce will host its annual Cinco de Mayo Fest in downtown Coachella from 10 a.m.–8 p.m. Food, live music, games, vendors and an auto exhibition will transform downtown Coachella into a lively fiesta. Admission is free.
Downtown Coachella on 6th Street
• Don Diego’s in Indian Wells will host its “Cinco Saturday” party from 11 a.m. The first 400 guests will receive a free T-shirt and the first 150 guests will enjoy $1.50 margaritas. Other drink specials feature tequila shots, margaritas and Coronas. Cinco de Mayo appetizer specials will feature fish tacos, ceviche and cocktail camarones. Local musicians including Mariachi Serenata, Meltdown and Johnny Gi-tar will provide live music at this all-day fiesta. Designate a driver or take a cab—Don Diego’s will provide a limited amount of discount vouchers for Yellow Cab Company.
Don Diego’s, 74969 Highway 111
• Las Casuelas Terraza in Palm Springs will host the seventh annual Cinco de Mayo Fiesta on Saturday, starting at 11 a.m. Palm Springs Mayor Steve Pougnet will open the event, which will feature folklorico dancers, live music, food and giveaways. The restaurant will also offer tours of its “Tequila Hall of Fame,” featuring over 70 rare brands. Admission is free.
Las Casuelas Terraza, 222 S. Palm Canyon Drive
• Village Pub in Palm Springs will have drink specials on tequila shots, Dos Equis, Coronas and Tecates and music by DJ Kohdi Rayne on Cinco de Mayo.
266 S. Palm Canyon Drive
• Macario’s Grill and EZ-103.1 will host a Cinco de Mayo Celebration at the restaurant’s Indio location from 11 a.m.–1 p.m. Mariachis and children’s activities provide fun for the whole family and a mechanical bull will be onsite if you’re feeling adventurous after indulging in a few drink specials. Guests will also have a chance to win prizes such as T-shirts, movie passes and gift cards.
80783 Indio Boulevard
• Pueblo Viejo Mexican Grill and EZ-103.1 will host a Cinco de Mayo Happy Hour from 3 p.m.–5 p.m. in Indio. Spin the Fast Cash Prize Wheel for your chance to win $10,000. Other prizes like movie passes and gift cards will also be given away.
81931 Highway 111
• The Living Desert will host its 3rd annual Brew at the Zoo from 6:30–9:30 p.m. Craft beers, wineries, food vendors and live blues bands will transform the zoo into a fundraising fiesta. See article on page 3 for details.
$40 members, $55 non-members, $175 VIP; 47900 Portola Ave., Palm Desert