Here’s what you need to know about Modernism Week in 2016:
- CAMP, Modernism Week’s ‘Community and Meeting Place’ and headquarters for tours and events, will move to an architecturally significant venue in downtown Palm Springs – the former 1957 J.W. Robinsons Department Store by Pereira & Luckman located at 333 S. Palm Canyon Drive. Introduced in 2015 as the central location for attendees to meet, shop, dine, learn, and relax between tours and parties, CAMP will feature stimulating programs and opportunities to meet authors, designers, and other industry luminaries through a variety of planned activities. CAMP will also feature creative on-the-go breakfast and lunch options from local favorites Koffi and Cheeky’s. CAMP will be open to the public with free admission Friday, February 12 – Sunday, February 21 from 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. daily. Programs including films, lectures and design discussions are priced from $10 – available online in advance or at the door.
Modernism Week’s popular architectural bus tours in Palm Springs bus will depart from CAMP throughout the day, including Premier Double Decker Architectural Bus Tours as well as a shorter Express version, the popular Charles Phoenix Super Duper Double Decker Bus Tours and an Illuminated Modern Sunset Bus Tour that departs at dusk. Standby tickets for all bus tours will be available on a first-available basis at the ticket sales desk at CAMP.
Many new programs and public events are planned for the daily schedule of activities at CAMP. Ferguson, Modernism Week’s exclusive Kitchen & Bath Sponsor, will present a series of panel discussions with designers, tastemakers and brands called “Design Insights”. The Ferguson Kitchen, complete with an outdoor lounge, will feature a variety of chef demonstrations and host “Cocktail Academy” seminars where guests can learn the finer points of mixing the perfect cocktail. Makerville, a creative haven for artists, will offer popular ‘Think and Drink’ cocktail happy hour events titled “Modernism with a Twist.” The public is also invited to visit the demonstration garden featuring native desert plants and hear about modern garden design with landscape architect Steve Martino presenting a lecture on 2/17.
A new offering at CAMP is a series of fashion events presented by Susan Stein, Fashion Editor for Palm Springs Life Magazine and Creative Director of Fashion Week El Paseo. Kicking things off is a “Then and Now” fashion show (2/15), followed by “Inside, Outside, and Side-by-Side” (2/17), an insightful lecture drawing comparisons between the inspirations behind fashion and architecture. On 2/19 celebrity makeup artist William Squire will join Stein to present “Your Signature Modernism Style,” offering tips to help fashion conscious modernistas look their best for any occasion.
“Women in Design” will be the focus on 2/20 with “Off the Runway with Lisa Perry: A Conversation with the Designer” as a featured event. Perry, who was inspired by vintage fashions and has collaborated with iconic and living artists to merge art, fashion and design, will present a highly personal talk moderated by local collector Shari Applebaum.
The public is invited to visit CAMP daily for unique programs and activities. Tickets will be available online in advance, or at the door for a selection of lecture programs featuring local architectural historians, photographers and writers, including “Unseen Midcentury Desert Modern,” a talk and book signing by photographer Dan Chavkin; “Eichler Day” panel, film and home tour devoted to prolific modernist developer Joseph Eichler; a conversation with acclaimed midcentury architect Hugh M. Kaptur, AIA; as well as the debut of “This Modern Life,” four local writers sharing stories of life in Palm Springs with a modern twist.
A list of events may be found at http://www.modernismweek.com/camp
Modernism Week’s Opening Night Party – Hollywood in Palm Springs will take place at CAMP on Thursday, 2/11, a dazzling red carpet affair recalling the golden age of 1950s Hollywood in Palm Springs when the Rat Pack held court at the Chi Chi. Enjoy handcrafted martinis and cocktails, retro-inspired cuisine presented by Lulu California Bistro, and dance all night to a hard-swingin’ retro/jazz show by the amazing band NUTTY. http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249178/
- Modernism Week’s world-class film and lecture series, with most events presented at the Annenberg Theater, will feature 8 ticket package deals that include one-day complimentary entry to the Palm Springs Art Museum and coffee or a soft drink at the Muse Cafe. Full-day packages include lunch. New for 2016:
- Ticket To Havana! Cuba Modern (Saturday, 2/13) – 3 lecture package http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249276/ (this pairs nicely with the Shari Belafonte Cuban Dinner Party on Tuesday, 2/16 http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249210/)
- Iconic Houses, Film and Preservation Package (Sunday, 2/14) – 4 lecture package http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249278/
- A Day With Herman Miller (Monday, 2/15) – 6 lecture package w/lunch http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249279/
An Afternoon with Mad Men (Thursday, 2/18) – 3 presentation package http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249277/
- Set-Design Team of Mad Men Takes us Behind the Scenes http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249284/
- Mad Men Costume Designer Janie Bryant and Fashion Designer Trina Turk http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249272/
- Mad Men Creator Matthew Weiner and his Creative Team on Costumes, Sets and the Making of the Show http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249275/
Followed by a Mad Men Affair at the Abernathy House http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249274/ (house was designed by William Cody, whose 100th birthday is also this year…)
Additional lectures of interest:
ELLE DECOR Presents The Iconic Iconoclast: Vladimir Kagan w/editor in chief Michael Boodro: http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249285/
Daughters of Design: Bertoia, Eames and Saarinen (Monday, 2/15) – Featuring the daughters of Eero Saarinen, Charles Eames and Harry Bertoia: three design legends whose long relationships first developed at Cranbrook Acadamy of Art in Michigan. http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249263/
All lectures are essentially new, and a complete list may be found at http://www.modernismweek.com/lectures
Two films will be premiering at Modernism Week in February:
- World Premiere Film: “Desert Maverick – The Singular Architecture of William F. Cody” http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249180/
- William Krisel, Architect – Premier Screening of Re-mastered Film http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249240/
Palm Springs premiere: Gray Matters – The Eileen Gray Documentary http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249261/
All films, including Tab Hunter Confidential (http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249241/) may be found at http://www.modernismweek.com/films
- New events
Parties & Fundraisers (see http://www.modernismweek.com/parties):
- Raymond Loewy House Tour and Reception-A Benefit for the Aluminaire House (Tuesday, 2/16) http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249249/
- Night at the Frank Sinatra Estate (Friday, 2/19 – includes a whisky tasting) http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249217/
- South Seas Island Hopping Cocktail Party http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249141/
- Liberace: The Show Must Go On http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249215/
- Wouldn’t It Be Loverly? A Night at the Loewe Estate (Saturday, 2/20 – benefits PSAM) http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249044/
A new free event is (see http://www.modernismweek.com/free):
- William Krisel Street Dedication Celebration (Tuesday, 2/16) http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/street-dedication/
- plus FREE events at CAMP!
There are five new Neighborhood Tours:
- Merito Manor http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249114/
- Casa Dorado in IW http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249121/
- Pompeii de Las Palmas http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249116/
- Krisel’s Kings Point http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249123/
- Cody’s homes at Tamarisk Fairways in RM http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249117/
Also new this year are trips beyond the Coachella Valley to:
- Party at Frey’s Yacht Club at the Salton Sea (sold out) http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249028/
- Retro Pinball Mania! at The Museum of Pinball in Banning http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249094/
- Historic Sam Maloof estate in Alta Loma http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249209/
- Returning favorites include two of Modernism Week’s most popular events:
- 16th Annual Modernism Show and Sale @ Palm Springs Convention Center (first weekend: Sat 10-6, Sun 10-5, Mon 10-4); look for shuttles departing to and from CAMP. Admission is $20 with return entry all weekend. To learn more about the 85 premier national and international dealers visit http://www.palmspringsmodernism.com/ (see attached News Release)
- The Show opens with a festive Preview Reception (Friday, 2/12) http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249136/
- Modernism Week Show House 2016: The Christopher Kennedy Compound Named by The Hollywood Reporter as the “#1 Must-See Event of Modernism Week!” Christopher brings together ten of the nation’s most prominent tastemakers to create unique rooms in this showcase house, including Martyn Lawrence Bullard, Bravo’s Carson Kressley, Michel Boyd, HGTV’s Jamie Durie and Kelli Ellis, Justin Shaulis, Style Blogger Kelly Golightly, Trellis Home, Bradshaw Orrell and more. The home is spectacularly sited on the fairway of the Indian Canyons Golf Resort, a favorite of Hollywood stars like Frank Sinatra, Walt Disney and Bob Hope. Daily tours beginning Saturday, 2/13: http://www.modernismweek.com/event/details/249127/ The home will also be the venue for a few nighttime parties.