February is Black History Month in the City of Palm Springs and the entire community is invited to participate in a host of fun and educational events planned by the City’s Black History Month Committee.
Here is a list of FREE events coming up:
- Black History Month Art Opening and Reception: “Intertwining the Fabric of Generations: The Quilt Work of Artist Faith Ringold, 4 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 2 at the Palm Springs Art Museum, 101 Museum Way. Sunday, Feb. 12, 2 p.m. Skype conversation with the artist at the museum.
- Black History Month Awards Gala, 6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 4, Hilton Palm Springs. 400 E. Tahquitz Canyon Way.
- Inaugural Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. “Excellence in Art” Student Art Exhibit Runs through Feb. 11, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Palm Springs Public Library, 300 S. Sunrise Way.
- Adult Basketball Tournament, Saturday, Feb. 11. James O. Jessie Desert Highland Unity Center, 480 Tramview Road. Registration begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Performance by poet Douglas Kearney, 7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 17 at the Palm Springs Art Museum
- 30th Annual Black History Parade and Town Fair, parade is Saturday, Feb. 25 at 11 a.m. along Palm Canyon Drive. Town Fair runs noon to 6 p.m. in Frances Stevens Park on the corner of Palm Canyon Drive and Alejo Road.
For more information about events, visit www.PalmSpringsBlackHistory.org