Those little nine-volt batteries that you changed last month from your smoke detector or just keep around in drawers could post a serious fire hazard if not stored correctly says Fire Chief Sam DiGiovanna.  The batteries could start a fire if surrounded by the wrong items.  Several house fires have been reported caused by the batteries.

“Fires have been attributed to 9-volt batteries where both the positive and negative leads have made contact with aluminum foil, a metal pen, or some type of metallic object.   All you need is for a metal object like steel wool a paper clip, pen short out across the top of a 9 Volt battery and ignite paper or other easily ignited materials and you’ll have a potential disaster in your home.   It doesn’t take much to heat a metallic object or cause a spark in order to start a fire says Chief DiGiovanna.”

Make sure your nine-volts are separated if they are out of their packaging.   Another tip is to cover the tops of your nine-volts with electrical tape to make sure that the tops of them never touch.

Contact your local fire department for additional information and visit:…/Safety%20tip%20sheets/9voltBatterySafety.pdf


Fire Chief Sam DiGiovanna