By Bronwyn Ison
If you have experienced a recession, then you will find my list of ten things you need to do right now very helpful. Yet, if this is the first time you are navigating through challenging times, these helpful hints will be your starters kit to surviving through our uncertain times.
I experienced my first recession in 2008. Upon losing everything, my home, car, a portion of my health and a big part of my mental sanity, I knew in the depth of my soul, I would survive. Yet, I wasn’t sure how long this dreaded period of my life would last. In other words, I could not see the forest for the trees.
In 2008 I was not an entrepreneur. In 2012 I began my journey as a business owner. Today, I can tell you that I have learned a lot and I continue to prosper in my educational sojourn of being an entrepreneur. Here are five out of my ten “things” that I believe will be helpful for you as entrepreneur. Or, if you are venturing into the world of entrepreneurship or you’ve been on the fence about starting your own business.
- Decide what really matters. Right now, choose what you want to do while you’re in quarantine. If it’s to reorganize your home then do so with full intention to accomplish this task. If it’s to begin making a business plan for a future endeavor… then do so and ask for help if you don’t know how to start. If it’s applying all of your efforts into being a homeschool teacher to your child(ren), then make this your priority. Easier said than done. My point is, don’t scatter yourself. Remain focused and be the best at what you’ve chosen to do for yourself and possibly others. One task at a time.
- Gratitude. Look around and be grateful for EVERYTHING… even the not so good stuff. I can promise you the challenges are not so sexy stuff but they will be great survival tips in your future. I can firmly and confidently attest this without a doubt.
- Resist to recede. To recede means to go backwards. We’re not about taking two steps or more back. We’re about two steps or more forward. Take what you have learned from your past and apply to forward thinking and actionable steps.
- Play it smart. Now is the time to bust out your street smarts. If you own your business, whether you are one, have a few or hundreds of employees… you cannot count on your company, the employees or your clients to protect you. As much as they want to… it may not be everything. You need to take small actions to everything place, interact with your clients and employees, remain engaged.
- You are awesome! Remember who you truly are in all that you are experiencing. Collectively, gather your skills and put them to work. This is no time to be stuck in a rut. In fact, this is the best time to innovate and be creative.
Don’t lose faith in yourself or others. You’ve got this. We’ve got this. Get moving.