By Dale Gribow

Q: Mr. Gribow, You write about scams and stolen ID. What do I do if I think this has happened to me? M. Stewart, Indio

A: If you think you are the victim of an ID Theft then cancel your credit cards ASAP, place a fraud alert on them and call the police to make a report. If you are going to report the incident to your insurance company they will want proof that you contacted the police.
1. Equifax 1-800 525 6285; for a Fraud alert 888 766 0008; to order a credit report 800 685 1111
2. Experian (formerly TRW) 1-888 397 3742 for a Fraud alert; to order a credit report 888 397 3742
3. Trans Union 1-800 680 7289 for a Fraud alert: to order a credit report 800 888 4213
4. Social Security Administration (fraud line) 1-800 269 0271
5. Notify your banks and post office
Keep this above info handy so you can find it in an emergency.

Q: I got a suspended license in court recently. How would they know if I drove on it? C. Diamond, Indian Wells


A: Most suspended license matters are from DUI’s and for to many traffic tickets. If you are not stopped for a traffic infraction or accident, the authorities may never know. However some of the new patrol cars have several cameras on top that pick up the license plates of cars they pass and immediately input them into their car’s computer. If it comes back with a suspended license or outstanding Bench Warrant they will stop you and ARREST you and take you to jail.
The latest trick is when the judge suspends your license in court and then has the bailiff/sheriff follows you to your car to see you start to drive away. You will be stopped and arrested. Driving on a suspended (14601 VC) usually results in the judge imposing a minimum of 10 days in custody.

Q: I got cited for a DUI and my friend said I should request a DMV hearing. Is that true? J. Johnson, Palm Desert

A: A citation for a DUI is an arrest which triggers a DMV hearing and a court proceeding. DMV wants to take away your driving privilege and the court wants to put you in custody. There is a 100% chance the DA will want jail time on a first offense DUI. After the arrest/citation you only have 10 total days from that date to request a DMV hearing or your license will be taken away for 4-5 months.

Q: My friend said I do not need to hire a lawyer to write a will. Is he correct? B. David, Palm Springs

A: Yes he is correct. You do not need a lawyer to prepare a will. You can prepare what is called a Holographic Will by writing it out in your own handwriting with nothing else on the paper. You cannot use a letterhead from a business or hotel and you cannot use a stamp for the date let alone typing anything! Any of these aforementioned items would make the proposed WILL invalid. A Holographic Will, has to be dated and signed and show that it was meant to be a will, in other words that it had TESTAMENTARY INTENT. Your holographic should state “This is My Last Will and Testament, dated February 20, 2014 in Palm Desert California.”

Q: My neighbor said I should not waste my money on a lawyer. Is it a waste of money? S. Sanchez, La Quinta

A: That is for you to decide. However in my opinion there is no question you should hire a lawyer. You can handle your Accident case; DUI; Incorporation and Will without hiring a lawyer. But the correct question is should you handle these matters yourself. The answer is clear………NO! Protect yourself with an attorney. If you had a medical problem you would not try to handle it yourself and hope it would go away……would you?

Remember, when you drink don’t “pull a Bieber” and get behind the wheel and have an accident or get arrested for a DUI:

Dale Gribow has been “Rated” TOP LAWYER by Palm Springs Life Magazine from 2011-2014 and has a Superb AVVO Legal Rating by his fellow attorneys. Dale Gribow has been Man of the Year 7 times, including the City of Palm Desert and the City of Hope and Dale Gribow Day has been declared 4 times. He is the only attorney appointed in December 2013 to the Coachella Valley Association of Government’s Public Safety Ad Hoc Blue Ribbon Committee addressing Drunk Driving. This group consists of the police chiefs from every city and the mayor of each city as well as the Sheriff of Riverside County and the head of the CHP and Border Patrol. In addition, Gribow is the only attorney asked to be part of the Clinton Foundation’s Clinton Health Matters Committee addressing Drunk Driving. Gribow is also one of the founders of Shutdown Drunk Driving formed upon the death of his client who was killed by a drunk driver while jogging recently.

If you have any questions regarding this column or ideas for future columns, please contact Dale Gribow Attorney at Law at his NEW number 760 837 7500 and or his new email: