Cool weather is upon us and that means more home heating use says Fire Chief Sam DiGiovanna.  This time of year, firefighters respond to an increase call load of “odor of gas in a structure” says Chief DiGiovanna.  You likely haven’t used your heating unit in several months.  It’s a good idea to have them checked before firing them up this winter says Chief DiGiovanna.  Heating appliances should be serviced annually to keep them operating safely and efficiently. “A licensed heating contractor or Southern California Gas Co. Representative can provide this service for you.”

By not having an annual maintenance inspection on gas appliances could result in exposure to carbon monoxide, which can cause nausea, drowsiness, flu-like symptoms, and even death. Does your residence have a carbon monoxide detector installed? Check with your local fire department for advice on installing one says DiGiovanna.

Here are a few tips for a safe, warm, and energy-efficient winter:

Have natural gas furnaces checked at least once a year by a licensed heating contractor or Southern California Gas Co rep.

Vacuum and clean regularly in and around the furnace, particularly around the burner compartment to prevent a build-up of dust and lint.
Never store items in, on or around the appliance that can obstruct airflow.

Advertisement

Most forced-air units have a filter that cleans the air before heating and circulating it throughout the home. Check furnace filters every month during the heating season and clean or replace the filter when necessary.

When installing a new or cleaned furnace filter, be sure to re-install the front panel door of the furnace properly so it fits snugly; never operate the furnace without the front-panel door properly in place because doing so may create the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Check the appearance of the flame. If the flame is yellow, large and unsteady, the furnace needs to be inspected immediately by a licensed heating contractor or Southern California Gas Co rep to have the condition corrected.

Using an unvented gas heater in your home is dangerous and a violation of the California Health and Safety Code.

Never use your oven, range or outdoor barbecue to heat your home because these appliances are not designed for this purpose.

For additional safety information visit: www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/causes/heating/heating-safety-tips

Fire Chief Sam DiGiovanna