Palm Springs CA
ARTICLE & PHOTOS BY LYNNE TUCKER
Black History Month is an annual observance originating in the United States, where it is also known as African-American History Month. It has received official recognition from governments in the United States and Canada, and more recently has been observed in Ireland and the United Kingdom.
See the wonderful new exhibits now on display.
Black History Month Trivia
- William Tucker, son of indentured servants from Great Britain, was the first recorded African child to be born in the colonies in 1624.
- Vermont was the first colony to ban slavery in 1777.
- In the 1770s, a Quaker named Anthony Benezet created the first school for African American children.
Activities & Ideas to Honor Black History Month
- Watch a documentary about the Black experience.
- Add some new podcasts to your queue.
- Read books written by Black authors.
- Pick a handful of Black leaders throughout history and learn more about them.
- Visit a Black or African history museum.
- Take a virtual museum tour.
For more information about ticket prices and hours, visit https://www.psmuseum.org/
Free Thursday Nights are first come first served, no reservations are required.
Think New Art Events Happening Now 🎨