By Lynne Tucker
The Palm Springs Art Museum creates transformative experiences that expand our understanding of ourselves and the world
The Palm Springs Art Museum was founded in 1938 as the Palm Springs Desert Museum at La Plaza in downtown Palm Springs. Natural science exhibits, Cahuilla Indian artifacts, and hiking excursions dominated the institution’s programming. In April 2005, the museum officially changed its name from Palm Springs Desert Museum to Palm Springs Art Museum to reflect its emphasis on the visual and performing arts.
The museum moved several times within the downtown Palm Springs area before building its first permanent structure in 1958, located on the southwest corner of Tahquitz-McCallum Way and Indian Ave. Over the years, fine art gained a greater measure of focus.
Accredited by the American Association of Museums, the Palm Springs Art Museum has 28 galleries, two sculpture gardens, four classrooms, a resource centers, an artist’s center, five storage vaults, an 85-seat lecture hall, a 433-seat theater, a 1,000 square-foot store, and a popular local bistro.
Seniors (62+) $11
Free admission every Thursday from 4:00 – 8:00 pm (sponsored by the City of Palm Springs).
Free admission Second Sundays (sponsored by H.N. and Francis C. Berger Foundation).
Always free for children under 18, active duty military and their family, and NARM and ROAM participants.
101 N Museum Drive
Palm Springs CA 92262
For more information and directions please visit their website at www.psmuseum.org
Think Travel and Enjoy the Journey
Lynne Tuckers is a travel writer and photojournalist based in Palm Desert