By Dennis Shelly
As we all work to protect ourselves from COVID-19 by taking protective measures like wearing a mask and gloves, hydrating, and social distancing. Maintaining your tech devices and sanitized when you depend on them now more than ever, is crucial.
Even in a non-pandemic state, according to an Arizona University study, which took samples from 100 offices across the US, computer keyboards have 3,295 microbes a square inch and computer mice have 1,676. But telephones are by far the worst offenders, with a scary 25,127 microbes a square inch.
As the COVID-19 virus is said to survive for up to a week on hard surfaces it’s so important to protect yourself by sanitizing the technology devices that you are using now more often, by using disinfecting and cleaning solution that is safe for those devices.
Here is a tip to making your own disinfectant and cleaning spray for all your tech devices to help you to stay safe and protect your hardware (laptops, keyboards, mice, phones, remote controls, TV’s, general surfaces, and more):
- Never use bleach on devices or screens!
- Do not use tap water, as it leaves spots and residue. Only use distilled water in the solution.
- Only use 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, using above 70% isopropyl alcohol can damage the oleophobic LCD screen coatings.
- Use a 1:1 solution of 70% isopropyl alcohol and distilled water.
- Never spray the solution directly onto your device! Spray it onto a microfiber cloth first, then wipe the device with the moistened cloth. Allow the device/surface to air dry.
To learn more, check out this comprehensive tutorial on how to make a disinfectant spray for your tech devices created by Microsoft.
Thank you for your part in ensuring that we continue to come together as a global community. We at EggHead IT are committed to doing our part to protect the health and safety of us all.
Have a suggestion for our next article or questions about keeping devices up to date or cleaning your technology? Our Eggsperts are standing by to help. Please contact us by calling (760) 205-0105 or emailing us at email@example.com and our Eggsperts are happy to help you with your questions or suggestions.
IT | Networks | Security | Phones | A/V | Integration