BY FIRE CHIEF SAM DIGIOVANNA
Next weekend is Memorial Day Weekend. “Let’s all take part by being responsible for our self and others,” says Fire Chief Sam DiGiovanna.
Here are a few safety tips:
Hitting the road locally or with some distance, remember:
- Buckle up, slow down, don’t drive impaired.
- Be well rested, alert and patient; give your full attention to the road. Do not text and drive!
- Let someone know your destination, your route, and when you expect to arrive.
Paddle Board? Jet Ski? It’s all harmless fun, right? Fun, certainly. But think before you play. Whatever the activity, observe these three cardinal rules:
- Wear a Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
- Make sure the water and weather conditions are safe. Let others know when you hit the water and when you plan to return!
- Learn to swim. Do not swim alone or leave children unattended! Let someone know where and what time your leaving and intend on returning!
- Never grill indoors or unattended – not in your house, camper, tent or any enclosed area.
- Keep the grill out in the open, away from the house, the deck, tree branches, or anything that could catch fire. Hot grease or ashes could spill from the grill onto the wooden deck or into dry leaves or grass.
For additional safety tips go to: redcross.org/news/article/Memorial-Day-Safety-Tips
Happy Memorial Day and Be Safe!